ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Bergen
RESEARCH FIELDMedical sciences › Medicine
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE16/06/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Bergen
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
At the Faculty of Medicine, Department of Clinical Dentistry, a full-time (100 %) temporary position as Postdoctoral Research Fellow is available for a period of three (3) years. The position is part of the project ” Maxibone”, financed by the EU Commission (H2020, 779322).
About the project/work tasks:
Bone Tissue engineering” encompasses a number of approaches to restore lost or damaged bone. The formation of new bone requires an established paradigm that introduces populations of stem cells in the presence of a biomaterial “3D scaffold”.
The major tasks of the project are:
- To develop translational approaches for regenerative therapies of different types of bone defects
- To understand and compare the efficacy of stem cells derived from different sources (BM-MSC vs ASC) using dynamic cell culture and preclinical models
- To understand the interaction of stem cells with different cells in the body after implantation since stem cells have ability to secrete a variety of soluble molecules that affect processes associated with healing
- To decrease the production costs of the cell therapy products by using automated bioreactors. We propose to culture MSC in close bioreactor systems without or with the synthetic biomaterials in order to produce a 3D bone graft substitute with a minimal cost and maximal safety
- To develop patient specific 3D printed biomaterial scaffolds together with MSCs for the future regeneration of large bone defects
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within Dentistry and field of stem cell research and bone tissue engineering, or have the doctoral thesis submitted and approved prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Experience in harvesting, culturing and characterizing both bone marrow and adipose stem cells. The applicant should also be able demonstrate the experience in 2D/3D cell culture, cell-material interaction, bio-printing, 3D printing and preclinical experimental research.
- Experience with research animals, injection techniques, and small animal imaging. She/he must have strong skills experience in subcutaneous and bone defect models.
- Should has scientific background documenting her/his experience in laboratory methods intended for use in the project. This includes among others: adhesion and molecular biology, immunohisto/cytochemistry and image quantification and analyses including µCT.
- Work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- Proficiency in both written and oral Norwegian and English.
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. Postdoctoral fellowships are fixed term positions. You can not be employed as a postdoctoral fellow for more than one fixed term period at the same institution. Also, you cannot be employed in a postdoctoral position if you have previously held this type of position at a different institution in the region.
Upon appointment, applicants must submit a project proposal for the qualifying work including a work schedule. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
The employee may be assigned up to 25 % required duties in the form of teaching and similar work at the department.
We can offer:
- Exciting development opportunities as part of your role in a strong professional environment
- Salary level 59 (code 1352/pay framework 24.3) at present NOK 515 200 gross p.a., with a degree in Medicine or Dentistry level 61 (code 1352/pay framework 24.5) at present NOK 534100 gross p.a., with a medical specialization level 63 (code 1352/pay framework 24.7) at present NOK 555 100 gross p.a. on the government salary scale. Further promotion will be after service seniority in the position.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- a brief account of the applicant`s research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- transcripts and diplomas (applicants with education from other countries than Norway must enclose witnessed diplomas in both the original language and authorized translations) and documentation of approved doctoral thesis
- complete list of publications
- publications (pdf) it is important that each of the scholarly works on which the committee should place special emphasis, is attached in its entirety
- two referees (name and contact information)
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Kamal Mustafa, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +47 55 58 60 97
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.
About The University of Bergen (UiB)
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
EURAXESS offer ID: 411332
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.