ORGANISATION/COMPANYNTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/10/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Trondheim
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
This is NTNU
NTNU is a broad-based university with a technical-scientific profile and a focus in professional education. The university is located in three cities with headquarters in Trondheim.
At NTNU, 9,000 employees and 42,000 students work to create knowledge for a better world.
You will find more information about working at NTNU and the application process here.
About the position
We have a vacancy for a PhD Candidate at the Department of Information Security and Communication Technology (IIK), NTNU.
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
This is a researcher training position aimed at providing academic development in the form of a doctoral degree in the PhD Programme in Information Security and Communication Technology. The research focus is on better understanding and defining the role of computer networks in fundamental Cloud/Edge services such as Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) or Software as a Service (SaaS).
Software development and Information Technology (IT) operations, or DevOps, have evolved to highly automated and reproducible processes. Multiple tools/frameworks exist for managing and orchestrating services, OS-level virtualisation (e.g. containers, zones and jails), virtual machines, unikernels, among other possibilities, through concepts such as Infrastructure as Code (IaC). However, the importance of the networking substrate is often underestimated and defined through simplistic metrics. Research in this topic will contribute to increased efficiency and security in automated processes for future systems of systems.
The expected research activities are to be carried out in close cooperation with other PhD students and faculty members associated to IIK’s Networking group.
The position’s working place is at NTNU’s campus in Trondheim and reports to IIK’s Head of Department.
Duties of the position
Several stakeholders are involved in the processes of IaC, DevOps and Continuous configuration automation (CCA), with different knowledge and understanding of the components that are being managed. Therefore, in this position the candidate is expected to:
- conduct excellent research in the field of computer networking with the goal of becoming a leading expert in computer networking for IaC, DevOps and CCA ;
- contribute to defining a clearer role of computer networking, and its impact, in IaC, DevOps and CCA;
- identify, test and validate relevant networking metrics and appropriate network management mechanisms for the entire life-cycle, from the design phase;
- explore mechanisms and processes that help to strengthen a more human-centric perspective towards the Next Generation Internet (NGI) in this context.
Required selection criteria
- You must have a professionally relevant background in Communication and Information Technology or Computer Science.
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree programme, where 120 credits are obtained at master's level
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master's degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU's grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty's doctoral program.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- The applicant must have a strong background in computer networking;
- Documented prior experience with or a background in DevOps and IaC will be valued;
- The applicant’s Master thesis must be research-oriented;
- Applicants must have experience with Unix-like operating systems;
- Motivation for fundamental scientific research of practical relevance is essential;
- Publication activities in relevant disciplines will be considered an advantage;
- Non-Norwegian-speaking applicants must provide evidence of good English language skills. The following tests can be used as such documentation: TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B.
The applicant should:
- enjoy working in a team-based environment but also be able to conduct independent activities and thinking.
- have a problem-solving attitude.
- have an inquisitive nature and enjoy cross-disciplinary challenges.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a PhD candidate (code 1017) you are normally paid from gross NOK 491 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years without required teaching duties, or 4 years including 25% of teaching assistance.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in in Information Security and Communication Technology within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a regular basis.
In the final assessment of the candidates, strategic considerations at the Department of Information Security and Communication Technology will also be taken into account.
Questions about the position can be directed to David Palma, phone number +47 73590776, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English. It must contain information of educational background, prior training, and work experience. In addition, the applicant must submit a research statement (max. 3 pages), detailing research interests and initial plans with regard to the above project description. The statement should also describe why the applicant is suited for the position, and how the project relates to previous education, research and competence.
Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant's contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your research statement, CV, diplomas, certificates and all other relevant information in a single PDF file. Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number 2021/49672 when applying.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include:
- Curriculum vitae (CV), certificates and diplomas.
- Certified copies of transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees. An English translation of all education documents is required unless the documents are in Norwegian. If you have not completed the master's degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- A copy of the master's thesis. If you recently have submitted your master's thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master's degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- A research statement (max. 3 pages) detailing the candidate’s research interests, the candidate’s view on the research challenges within the area of the PhD position and initial research directions given the description of the position.
- Evidence of good English language skills.
- Name and address of two reference persons.
- Publications or other relevant research work, if any.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact David Palma, telephone +47 73590776, email email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Stine Terese Ruen Nymoen, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number 2021/49672 when applying.
Application deadline: 31.10.2021
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Information Security and Communication Technology
Research is vital to the security of our society. We teach and conduct research in cyber security, information security, communications networks and networked services. Our areas of expertise include biometrics, cyber defence, cryptography, digital forensics, security in e-health and welfare technology, intelligent transportation systems and malware. The Department of Information Security and Communication Technology is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering .
Open, Transparent, Merit based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R)
Know more about it at NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Know more about OTM-R
EURAXESS offer ID: 685825
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.