Check list when leaving Norway

Leaving Europe | Departure conditions/formalities | Norway


The degree to which the items in this checklist are relevant for you will depend on where you are moving. The list is intended to provide a starting point for the kinds of things that are important to remember.


Prior to departure

  • Apply for research funding at least one year prior to departure.
  • Do you need a visa? Start by obtaining a letter of invitation from the host institution and an application form from the embassy of the relevant country.
  • Ensure that you have a valid passport. Passports must normally be valid for six months after your planned return home.
  • Apply for membership of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme if you will be living outside Europe.
  • Apply to your local office of the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration (NAV) to continue to receive child benefit (for stays abroad of over three months).
  • Obtain proof of insurance or the European Health Insurance Card from HELFO.
  • Purchase supplementary insurance.
  • Does Norway have a tax treaty with the host country? Find out whether you are eligible to apply to the Norwegian Tax Administration for a tax exemption and a new tax deduction card.
  • Get any necessary vaccinations starting at least six months prior to departure.
  • Bring your international certificate of vaccination with you.
  • Find a home/accommodation in the host country.
  • Apply for pre-school/day-care in the host country well in advance of your stay.
  • Contact the school in the host country that you would like your child to attend.
  • Apply for a leave of absence from your child’s school or pre-school/day-care (barnehage) in Norway.
  • Resign your child’s place in the school after-care programme (SFO).
  • Apply for a leave of absence from other relevant associations or recreational activities.
  • Obtain landlord insurance (utleieforsikring) if you will be renting out your home.
  • Cancel your various subscriptions.
  • Ensure that you have a valid credit card.
  • Make a list of contact persons in Norway and the host country.
  • Notify your Norwegian employer of your planned stay abroad.
  • Report your move and change of postal address to the National Registry via the Norwegian Tax Administration.

Coming to the host country

  • Complete all registration requirements at the host institution.
  • Notify the Royal Norwegian Embassy in your host country that you will be residing there.
  • Submit your tax return, and apply for any relevant tax exemptions for year 1, if relevant.
  • If you are renting out your home in Norway, submit the form Letting etc. of real property 2012 (RF-1189) as an attachment to your tax return.
  • Check the certificate of overall pay and tax deducted from your employer for year 1.
  • Find out whether you should register your proof of insurance/European Health Insurance Card with the host institution or the local authorities.
  • Apply for pre-school/day-care and/or school.
  • Find out if your child will need a physical/certificate of medical health.

Before returning home from the host country

  • Cancel your electric and gas utilities, telephone and other subscriptions.
  • Notify your host institution of your departure.
  • Notify your child’s pre-school/day-care (barnehage), school and/or school after-care programme in Norway that you will be returning.
  • Close your bank account in the host country.
  • Get an overview of your economic situation

Returning home from the host country

  • Report your move back to Norway to the Norwegian Tax Administration/National Registry.
  • Submit your settlement form (oppgjørsskjema) to your employer.
  • Notify the payroll department at your institution that you have returned home and of your period of absence.
  • Check the certificate of pay and tax deducted from your employer for year 2.
  • Submit your tax return, and apply for any relevant tax exemptions for year 2.
  • Notify your local NAV office that you have returned home.