THE RESEARCH INSTITUTE SECTOR
The Norwegian research institute sector comprises a large number of institutions which vary widely in terms of scientific focus, tasks, organisation, financing and historical background. The sector encompasses a total of over 200 institutions, of which 70 have R&D as their primary area of activity.
A partially performance-based public basic funding system has been introduced for the research institutes. The performance-based portion of the basic allocation is distributed on the basis of four performance indicators: scholarly publication; income from nationally commissioned research; income from international sources; number of doctoral degrees completed.
The funding system for research institutes is designed to strengthen the roles of these institutions in the Norwegian R&D system.
Institutes receiving public basic funding
The environmental institutes conduct applied research in the fields of the environment, climate, cultural history, social science and natural science. The institutes play a key role in generating knowledge for sustainable societal development.
As well as conducting research, the environmental institutes provide research-based expertise, advice and assistance to the Ministry of Climate and Environment in the context of national and international forums and carry out studies of environmental issues on commission from the ministry.
- Centre for International Climate and Environmental Research, Oslo (CICERO)
- Nansen Environmental and Remote Sensing Centre (NERSC)
- Norwegian Institute for Cultural Heritage Research (NIKU)
- Norwegian Institute for Air Research (NILU)
- The Norwegian Institute for Nature Research (NINA)
- Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA)
- Institute of Transport Economics (TØI)
- Uni Research AS
- Christian Michelsen Research (CMR)
- Institute for Energy Technology (IFE)
- Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI)
- Norwegian Marine Technology Research Institute (MARINTEK)
- Norwegian Computing Centre
- Northern Research Institute ICT (NORUT)
- Norut Narvik ICT
- International Research Institute of Stavanger (IRIS Technology)
- SINTEF Energy Research
- SINTEF Petroleum Research
Other research institutes
- Norwegian Meterological Institute
- Nordic Institute of Dental Materials (NIOM)
- Geological Survey of Norway (NGU)
- Norsk landbruksrådgivning (Norwegian only)
- Norwegian Institute of Wood Technology
- Paper and Fibre Research Institute
- Centre for Biosafety (GenØk)
- Simula Research Laboratory
- Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority