Skip to main content
Living in EuropeEntry conditions/visasNorway

Arrival to Norway



Registration requirements for EU/EEA/EFTA citizens are outlined below.

  • If you are an EEA national (citizen of an EU/EEA/EFTA country) and have a valid identity card or passport, you do not need a visa for stays of up to 90 days in Norway. This also applies to members of your family who are themselves EEA nationals.
  • Family members from countries outside the EU/EEA/EFTA must have a valid passport and must be able to document that they are supported by you.
  • Nationals of countries that have visa exemption agreements with Norway are also not required to obtain a visa for stays of up to 90 days in Norway.

Consult the website of the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI)  to find out whether you are required to obtain a visa. They have a very user-friendly digital service that should answer all your questions.

  • EEA nationals may apply for permanent residence after five years of continuous legal residence in Norway. Applications for the document certifying permanent legal residence may be submitted to a police station or a Service Centre for Foreign Workers   .Members of your family may also be entitled to permanent residence, regardless of their citizenship. Read more about permanent right of residence.. Read more about permanent right of residence  .
  • Nationals of countries outside the EEA may also be granted permanent residence. You must have resided in Norway for a continuous period of three years during which you have held permits that form a basis for permanent residence, and you must have completed tuition in the Norwegian language. Consult UDI's website (The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration)  to find out what is needed to apply for permanent residence.

  • For more information about residence permits and the most relevant permits for researchers from countries outside the EU/EEA/EFTA, see Work Permit


Those planning to undertake a longer term research stay in Norway may be considering moving their belongings to Norway. Moving between different countries is a process that requires planning and consideration of the various options available, as well as of prices and estimates. Here are some tips on the kind of things to think about if you are planning to move your belongings.

You may choose to send your belongings as freight by air, sea or road. Most airlines offer a service for transport of personal belongings. Transport by road or sea is often cheaper than by air.

If your employer covers removal expenses, you should check whether there are any rules about obtaining price estimates from several companies, as well as what documentation you need to keep and send to your employer.

If you do not want to organise the move yourself, you can use an international removal company. There are many companies operating in this field and you should spend some time to find the right company for you. Prices can vary a lot from one company to the next so it is worth the effort to compare.

It is a good idea to choose companies that have a base in or an affiliation with the country you are moving from or to. Here are links to some international removal companies:

NFB International Relocations 

Alfa Moving 

Team Allied 


Most removal companies offer price estimates free of charge

An important criterion for finding the right price for your removal goods is their volume in number of cubic metres (m³). However, it is not easy to calculate the volume of the goods you wish to transport. Here are some examples of estimates:

1 shelf metre of books = approx. 0.1 m³ (about one cardboard box)

1 corner sofa = approx. 2.5 m³

2-room apartment (40-70 m²) = approx. 20-25 m³

It is important to purchase separate removal insurance (transport insurance). Removal companies often have limited responsibility and household contents insurance and normal travel insurance do not cover removal goods. You can obtain removal insurance through the removal company or from your regular insurance company.