Skip to main content
Leaving EuropeDeparture conditions/formalitiesNorway

Moving abroad


Are you planning to rent out your home? Are you going to take your personal belongings with you or put them in storage? It is often easy to forget something in the moving process. Here are some tips on moving.

  • Check with your home institution to find out if there is an accommodation service that deals with renting out properties in connection with stays abroad.
  • You can also contact your own and other institutions directly to find out if there are any international researchers coming to Norway who might be interested in renting your home.
  • Property advertisements can be posted on the following websites:
    •  is the most popular website for property advertisements (Norwegian only).
    •   is a website that provides information about smaller, less expensive accommodation alternatives, often with shared bathroom and kitchen facilities.
    • Sabbatical Homes  is an international website that provides information about home exchanges or home rentals for the academic community.
    • The National Federation of House Owners in Norway (HL) offers useful tips on renting out accommodation. For more information on tenancy contracts see: The National Federation of House Owners in Norway (HL). 
  • Rental income is not taxable for lets of up to six months in a calendar year. If the lease is longer than this, rental income for the entire period is subject to tax.
The Norwegian postal service (Posten Norge AS) provides a service for temporary redirection of post to private individuals. Redirecting post to an address abroad may take time. It is worth considering having your post redirected to other members of your family, a neighbour or even your own institution, who could then forward important post on to you.
You must notify the National Registry of the move if no one in your family is going to be living at your home address, and if you are planning to stay abroad for more than six months.
If you want to take your belongings with you, you will have to send them as freight by air, sea or road. Most airlines offer a service for transport of personal belongings. Transport by road or sea is often cheaper than by air.
  • An overview of the various freight companies may be found in the Yellow Pages (Gule Sider)   
  • Insuring your personal belongings. You usually have to obtain separate baggage insurance through the freight company because normal travel insurance and other types of insurance do not cover belongings sent as freight. Check whether your insurance covers this and what sort of insurance rates the freight company can offer.
  • Documentation of items taken out of Norway.
    • Items you have taken abroad with you from Norway may be re-imported and are not subject to customs and excise duties.
    • You must obtain documentation from the customs authorities that states that the items were not purchased abroad. This type of documentation may be relevant for items such as personal computers and other electronic equipment.
  • Refund of VAT
    • If you live abroad you may claim a refund of value-added tax (VAT) when you buy goods in Norway and take them with you out of the country. There are several refund points where you can receive your tax refund, such as airports, road borders, ferries and cruise ships.
  • Importing a foreign-registered car to Norway
    • If you have bought a car during your stay abroad and want to bring it back to Norway, it must be cleared through customs and registered with Norwegian licence plates
  • For more information see Toll – Norwegian customs