Skip to main content
Leaving EuropeDeparture conditions/formalitiesNorway

Dual careers when leaving Norway


In families with dual careers it is important to take into account the careers of both partners in a relationship when planning a research stay in another country. It is not uncommon for both partners to be researchers and if that is the case research positions may need to be found for both of them.

Sometimes only one of the partners is a researcher, and the other will want to look for other types of positions or study opportunities, or may choose to start their own business or stay at home with children.

How do I find a position as a scientist abroad?

Personal networks often provide a starting point for organising a research stay or finding a research position abroad. It is important to make use of your own contacts and those of your research community. Alternatively you can apply for advertised positions by using e.g. the following job databases:

Apply for other positions abroad

As well as applying for advertised positions it may be a good idea to send speculative applications or contact employers or particular research groups directly stating your interest in working with them and outlining your relevant expertise. Traditions vary when it comes to employing people, so this may be the decisive factor that determines whether you are given a job.

Research institutions in some countries are very open to employing scientists’ partners, who are not researchers themselves but are often highly qualified, in administrative positions.

How do I find a job in an EU/EEA country?

As a citizen of the EU/EEA you can apply for jobs freely in other European countries.

  • In addition to using the EURAXESS Job portal, contact the Euraxess Services Network if you are planning to live in another European country. Several countries have their own advisory services for partners accompanying mobile researchers on a research stay abroad and the EURAXESS network can put you in contact with them.
  • European Employment Services (EURES)   advertises vacant positions in European countries and to some extent countries in other parts of the world. EURES advisers also offer advice and guidance throughout the job-seeking process. You can therefore start looking for a job even before you leave Norway.

Can I work in countries outside the EU?

You will need a work permit to be able to work outside the EU/EEA.Contact the relevant embassy for information about obtaining a work permit  .

Voluntary work

In a large number of countries there are also many opportunities for voluntary, unpaid work. The following is a useful portal for voluntary work:

Where do I find information about higher education abroad?

The Association of Norwegian Students Abroad (ANSA) information centre for higher education abroad provides information and advice on studying abroad. ANSA answers inquiries on a wide range of topics, such as general country information, subject areas, application processes, recognition of qualifications and practical issues.

The following is a useful database for studying abroad:

Can I receive financial support from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund (Lånekassen) to study abroad?

You may be eligible to receive support from the   Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund (Lånekassen)  if you study full-time at an officially approved institution and if the programme is equivalent to a Norwegian bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree programme, and has the same admission requirements as in Norway.

I am planning to stay at home with the children. What benefits can I receive from Norway?

Many people plan to have children to coincide with a research stay abroad, so that one of the partners can stay at home with the children while the other one works. You may be entitled to the following financial benefits:

  • Maternity and parental benefits: check with NAV International to find out if you retain your membership of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme while you are abroad. Membership entitles you to maternity and parental benefits.
  • Child benefit: for stays of up to six months in EU/EEA countries, you will continue to receive child benefit. In exceptional cases you may be eligible to receive child benefit for stays of more than six months in EU/EEA countries and in countries outside the EU/EEA with which Norway has a social security agreement. If you retain your membership of the National Insurance Scheme you will also continue to receive child benefit in countries with which Norway does not have an agreement.
  • Cash benefit for families with small children: only in exceptional cases can you continue to receive cash benefit abroad if you are staying in another Nordic country or staying no more than three months in an EU/EEA country.

Read more about family-related benefits 

For more information see: